[vox-tech] Re: newbie now having trouble with pico

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:10:59 -0800

begin Katie <krwright1@yahoo.com>
> From: Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>
>
> > Is this an install of RedHat or Mandrake Linux?
>
> I have Mandrake.
>
> > It looks like you are trying to install a redhat rpm on a mandrake
> > installation.  Although RPMs built for on a different distribution often
> > work fine, you're best finding one for your particular flavor.
>
> I tried finding Mandrake rpm's, but when I couldn't I went for Red Hat.  I
> was told they were almost identical.  Was I misled?

it's a common practise, although maybe less common these days now that
all the distros are getting mighty husky.

back in my redhat days, a long time ago, it was very common to
interchange redhat and mandrake rpm's.  it was a case of "not
recommended but it almost always works".  mandrake had newer software
that was optimized for pentiums, so it was pretty common to see if the
mandrake rpm would install first.

i'm not sure how things might have changed since then, but i would think
as long as files aren't overwritten, you should be able to back off on
changes if the rpm install procedes but ends up not working.

in fact, back before the days of nvidia, when all linux gamers had the
voodoo cards, all glide2 and 3dfx device rpms were generated for redhat.
those rpm's **had** to be used by mandrake, suse, connectivia and all
the other distros.  even debian, at least for a little while.

lots of other examples -- ibm's via voice, the portable batch system,
etc. are all packaged for redhat, but are used with other distros as
well.

so none of us can really give you a good solid answer other than "it's
not recommended, but it commonly works".

pete