[vox-tech] Re: newbie now having trouble with pico

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:12:24 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Katie wrote:

> > From: Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>

[...]

> > If the ncurses package really is already installed, then it may be
> > a faulty install.  You may have "libtinfo.so.5.1" or something, and
> > need a symlink from the generic library name to the specific one
> > (something like "ln -s /lib/libtinfo.so.5.1 /lib/libtinfo.so.5).
>
> How do I find out if I have another libtinfo?  I went looking, but
> couldn't find it anywhere.

"locate" works based on a database updated using "updatedb" (daily on my
system).  It can be used like "locate libtinfo".

If the file is one that has been newly added to the filesystem, you can
use the "find" command, which starts at some directory and searches
through all subdirectories.  (Don't start at "/" because directories like
"/proc/" probably should not be searched.)  A sample find would be
"find /usr/lib/ -name 'libtinfo*' -print".

> > Note that "pico" actually comes with "pine" (normally), so you can
> > probably find an rpm for "pine" and get what you are after.
>
> I took the easy way out.  Pine installed without a hitch, so now I can use
> pico.

All's well that ends well. :)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing