[vox-tech] Re: newbie now having trouble with pico

Katie vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:45:08 -0800 (PST)

> From: Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>

> I am no rpm expert, but these errors suggest to me that rpm was trying
> to remove ncurses and complaining about it.  Total guesswork: It may
> be attempting to remove it due to the way you are invoking it... did
> you tell it to update ncurses, or did you tell it to install ncurses?
> the latter may try to remove equivalent packages before installing the
> one you specify.

I think that might be it.  It looks like I have libncurses-5.2-27, but I
don't remember being given an update option, only install or uninstall.
Then again I wasn't looking for an update option so I could have been
staring right at it without seeing it.

> If the ncurses package really is already installed, then it may be
> a faulty install.  You may have "libtinfo.so.5.1" or something, and
> need a symlink from the generic library name to the specific one
> (something like "ln -s /lib/libtinfo.so.5.1 /lib/libtinfo.so.5).

How do I find out if I have another libtinfo?  I went looking, but
couldn't find it anywhere.

> Note that "pico" actually comes with "pine" (normally), so you can
> probably find an rpm for "pine" and get what you are after.

I took the easy way out.  Pine installed without a hitch, so now I can use
pico.

Thanks!

Katie

=====
Only two things are necessary to keep a redhead happy.
One is to let her think she is having her own way,
and the other is to let her have it. :)