[vox-tech] gimp question: layers and resizing

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:25:26 -0800

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:36:13AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> for instance, suppose i wanted the entire image to be shifted right by a
> certain amount.

See my previous post where I explained how to 'anchor' images using the
little arrow-headed "+" symbol toggler in the "Layers, Channels & Paths"
dialog.

<snip>
> is it possible to select a portion of the image and have the selection
> include multiple layers?

Mm... Not really.  Some tools (like color-picker) can be told to work with
layers that way, but generally no.

Of course, when you choose different layers, the selection doesn't change,
so you can do the same "thing" (e.g., apply a filter or do color changes)
to the same 'spot' in each layer, one by one...

<snip>
> ps- i thought of one more question.  i just realized that if i use fonts
> in an image, it can be the case that a month from now if i want to add
> more lettering, i'll completely forget the font name and size of the
> font i originally used.
>
> is it possible to add comments to an image so i can document this kind
> of stuff?

Depends on the file format. :^)

What you really want, though, maybe, is to use the 'Dynamic Text' tool.
It's a totally different tool "paradigm" (I love that word), compared to the
'normal' text tool.

Double-click the 'Text' tool icon in the toolbox, and check "Dynamic Text."

Now, when you click in the canvas to type something, you get a completely
different text-entry dialog.  It looks more like a word processor than
the normal one.

The best part is that the text attributes (what the text says, like
"Hello there, this is some text", what font and size it's in, justification,
etc.) is all magically stored.  So you can go back and CHANGE the text
later, and it will simply change the magic 'dynamic text layer' it created.

So, in other words, if months down the road you realize you spelled
"Leenoox" wrong, you can go back and change it to "Linux", and it's not
a matter of manipulating a bitmap.  You simply change the string from
"Leenoox" to "Linux", hit [OK] or [Apply], and the image changes. :^)

-bill!