[vox-tech] Anyone mess with Open Office out there?

Richard Burkhart vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:15:26 -0800

I've tried a LITTLE of open office (mostly on Dick Ely's machine when I'm
over there) ... it seems to work ok for translation of basic word documents.
Haven't tried it with the documents I have to do at work --
heavy-formatting/table of contents & figures & tables fields, footnotes,
etc.

Crossover office w. MS Word works *quite* well, from what I've been able to
experiment with.  According to crossover, everything works but the
#$*($*(@#@# paper clip help wizard.  I've pulled in work-related documents,
and all the formatting held perfectly.  If you've got a Win install sitting
next to your crossover install, I *believe* that crossover's Wine setup will
grab your fonts directory from Windows - so you'll have those fonts
available as needed.

>From what I've been able to see ... excel works just as well.  According to
crossover, Powerpoint does too; Outlook, Visio, Quicken, and a few other
programs work "ok."

The one thing that I ran into -- in the 1.2.1 version of crossover office,
it had a temper tantrum if you tried to run word AND excel at the same time
(to switch back and forth between them.)  Don't know if they've fixed this
yet with 1.3.1 - I haven't had time to try in recent months.