[vox-tech] Re: [vox] re. FAT size restrictions

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:44:20 -0800

Quoting Kevin Hooke (kevin@kevinhooke.com):

> On a related note: does anyone use the ntfs write support for mounting
> ntfs partitions, and does it work ok? The docs at
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ mention thats it not recommended to
> use the write support... how likely is it to corrupt data?

Rather likely -- and not SMP-safe, either.  You can certainly use it in
emergencies, e.g., to deal with lost administrator passwords.  If you
find yourself needing it, carefully check the volume afterwards.

> Anyone know when write support will be available?

As you may know, code was present for write support (but usually
disabled) in the first NTFS driver, the one that wasn't SMP-safe.
The replacement NTFS driver so far lacks write code entirely.

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"