[vox-tech] Reformatting a FAT32 partition

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:51:31 -0800

As far as I know (which isn't all that much), Linux supports reading and
writing to FAT32.  I have a dual boot system with a 3rd partition that
is FAT32 which I use from both WinXP and RH8 Linux.  You could probably
use FAT, but it is limited to 2GB.

For whatever reason, Linux likes to refer to FAT32 as VFAT.  You will
need an appropriate line in your fstab to mount it on startup.  There is
also the issue of FAT32 not supporting user-associations for each file,
so you need to use the "umask" command.

I am sure others can help you more.

Jonathan