[vox-tech] repartitioning linux

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:31:33 -0800

begin Ryan Zeeturt <rcdetert@ucdavis.edu>
> I need more room on my root partition. I usually use partitionmagic to do
> all of my partitioning, but I have an older version and it will only let
> me have one swap at 133MB. fdisk will delete my data won't it?

fdisk allows you to create and delete partitions, not resize them.

take a look at parted.  it has some really awful restrictions for
ext2/3, and the docs are prolly more complicated than they should be,
but i was able to resize my /var partition successfully with it about a
year ago.

i remember someone mentioning that there was an open source resizer
other than parted, but i can't remember its name.

> I want to be able to do this without having to backing anything up.

heh.  you're kidding, right?

pete