[vox-tech] Re: CD-RW software for Unixes

Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:54:10 -0800

begin Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:52:06AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > begin Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>
> > > hi, folks-
> > >
> > > Speaking of CD-RW software, what are some of your favorite frontends?
> >
> > heh.
> >
> > cdrecord with a frontend of bash.  ;-)
>
> Yeah, i wondered which smartass was gonna say that ... :)

:-)

> I *can* use cdrecord straight up, but I prefer it with a shot of GUI.

Top 10 Reasons To Use cdrecord
==============================

10. cdrecord sounds like what it does.  it records on a cd.  gcombust
   sounds like it'll cause your cd recorder to spontaneously combust.
   gnometoaster sounds like a hobbit torture device.

9 if the length of a man page is the measure of a software's worth, then
   cdrecord is worth a HELL OF A LOT!

8. you can script your cdrecord sessions or even throw them into a cron
     job!

7. it's *honestly* easier to use than any FE i've ever seen.

6. it doesn't clutter up your X screen real estate.

5. you can run it from console

4. takes less CPU cycles.

3. hard drive space is wasted when you install YAA (yet another
   application)

2. command line stuff is just more |_ <- <- T  than gui stuff.

1. debian users don't need no stinkin GUI's

pete