[vox-tech] Grub question

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:38:09 -0800

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:29:16AM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> I downgraded to gcc 2.95 and the kernel compiles now, so now I am trying =
> install it. I kept getting errors during the boot up, some of which inclu=
ded "no
> ext3 support" but I'm assuming that can be fixed by adding extra options =
into
> the menuconfig. I want to use the grub and I'm seeing this in the grub.co=
nf
>=20
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-24.7.x)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.7.x ro root=3D/dev/hda1
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-24.7.x.img
>=20
> I want to add my new kernel /boot/bzImage
> I was wondering what the last line with the initrd does. I couldn't find
> anywhere online that was particularly useful about what this does. So cur=
rently
> in my conf file I have

This is for an initial RAM disk---a temporary root filesystem, typically us=
ed
to hold modules (e.g., the ext3 filesystem module when the real root
filesystem is ext3 but the kernel does not have ext3 compiled in, or the ha=
rd
drive is SCSI but SCSI support is not compiled in). Many installers use the
initial RAM disk to allow a single generic kernel to be used for all
installations.

There is some information about initial RAM disks here in the man page:
initrd(4).

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=