[vox-tech] email problems

Jim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:42:37 -0800

On Thursday 13 February 2003 17:16, ME wrote:
> Jim said:
> > Hi:
> > I am having troubles with my email.  When I access my server (pop3) u=
sing
> > kmail it gives me an error message     could not read file  The serve=
> > said:
> > "no such msg"    .  When this happens I also noticed that at the bott=
om
> > of the window there is another message    Transmission completed, 29 =
new
> > messages at 0KB.
> > ??????????????????????????  I have received e-mail but a few at a tim=
e.
> > It
> > appears that this happens when I first activate kmail but unsure.  I
> > called
> > my server and told him of my delima.  He reset my email accountand st=
ated
> > that if it was a problem on their end that this will take care of it.
> >
> > I have removed my filters that I was so proud of figuring out how to =
do.
> > Maybe that had something to do with it I don't know.
> >
> > I will boot windows and send myself a whole slew of e-mails.
> >
> > Has anybody ever seen or heard of this?
>
> There are cases where an e-mail messages causes issues with the pop ser=
ver
> and/or the pop client. If it is the pop-client, one thing you can do is=
> log into a shell from the ISP (if they have one) and use a mail reader =
> see the next message for delivery and try to delete it.
>
> Another method if a shell is not available is to try another popmail
> client. If you have nestcape, you can try setting it up to be a pop mai=
> client, but make sure you set the option: "Do not delete mail from serv=
er"
> and select the other option "delete mail from the server when I delete =
the
> local copy." By setting these two in netscape with mail, you can browse=
> the message that is causing problems, delete it or read it, or "whateve=
r"
> it, and then quit netscape, and re-start your kmail and see if it can g=
et
> the messages that are left on the server.
>
> If the problem is causing the isp pop server to croak and you dont have=
> shell, then you may need to have them tell you about the mail and manua=
lly
> delete it on their end.
>
> These (above) are the most common causes for what you describe.. There =
may
> be others. Please let us know if this does not help you.
>
> -ME

I called the server and I was told that there is no messages for me.  Thi=
s was=20
after the fore said eror messages and text at the bottom of the window=20
stating "Transmission completed, 29 new messages at 0KB".

I have mailed a slew of messages to myself and received all of them. I di=
d=20
however rechecked archived letters on both samba and lugod and am still n=
ot=20
getting some e-mail.

What I think I will do is use their (my isp=3Dsysmatrix) web based email =
and=20
check what mesages are actually on their server.  Then I will use kmail t=
o=20
get my email.

Thank you for your help.  You have given me new ideas.
--=20
Grasshopper