[vox-tech] email problems

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:16:45 -0800 (PST)

Jim said:
> Hi:
> I am having troubles with my email.  When I access my server (pop3) using
> kmail it gives me an error message     could not read file  The server
> said:
> "no such msg"    .  When this happens I also noticed that at the bottom of
> the window there is another message    Transmission completed, 29 new
> messages at 0KB.
> ??????????????????????????  I have received e-mail but a few at a time.
> It
> appears that this happens when I first activate kmail but unsure.  I
> called
> my server and told him of my delima.  He reset my email accountand stated
> that if it was a problem on their end that this will take care of it.
>
> I have removed my filters that I was so proud of figuring out how to do.
> Maybe that had something to do with it I don't know.
>
> I will boot windows and send myself a whole slew of e-mails.
>
> Has anybody ever seen or heard of this?

There are cases where an e-mail messages causes issues with the pop server
and/or the pop client. If it is the pop-client, one thing you can do is to
log into a shell from the ISP (if they have one) and use a mail reader to
see the next message for delivery and try to delete it.

Another method if a shell is not available is to try another popmail
client. If you have nestcape, you can try setting it up to be a pop mail
client, but make sure you set the option: "Do not delete mail from server"
and select the other option "delete mail from the server when I delete the
local copy." By setting these two in netscape with mail, you can browse to
the message that is causing problems, delete it or read it, or "whatever"
it, and then quit netscape, and re-start your kmail and see if it can get
the messages that are left on the server.

If the problem is causing the isp pop server to croak and you dont have a
shell, then you may need to have them tell you about the mail and manually
delete it on their end.

These (above) are the most common causes for what you describe.. There may
be others. Please let us know if this does not help you.

-ME