[vox-tech] baby steps

Jim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:10:34 -0800

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 12:28, Henry House wrote:
> A good way to run graphical programs as root (editor, cofiguration tool=
,
> etc) is to use 'ssh -X root@localhost' instead of 'su'. You might try
> creating a bash alias to make a shorthand for the preceding command.

What?  I am but a mere infant to Linux.  I really don't understand what y=
ou=20
just said.

I typed in ssh-X root@localhost   in the shell konsole and get an error=20
message "ssh-X command not found".  I typed in root@localhost---same resu=
lts. =20
Why does this stuff have to be so hard?  I can't even copy the results by=
=20
hightlighting.  Isin't there some graphical user interface that will give=
 me=20
the same results?

It's as if I am taking one step foward then two steps back.  This is driv=
ing=20
me crazy.  And to beat all, I haven't even begun to set up samba.

I guess that I am so used to window$ and the way it works.  I feel like I=
'm=20
learning to use computers all over again.
--=20
Grasshopper