[vox-tech] baby steps

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:28:02 -0800

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 10:02:31AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 08:39:48AM -0800, Jim wrote:
> > I don't have access to certain files even when trying to access these f=
iles=20
> > using shell konsole.  I su to root but still have the error message "ba=
sh:=20
> > /etc/samba/smb.conf: Permission denied".
[...]
> You'll want to try "su"ing to root in a shell, and THEN run "kate...".
> (Now, there may end up being issues there about root not having permission
> to display an X-Window program on your screen while you're logged in as
> your normal user.  We'll cross that bridge when we decide to come to it,
> though...)

A good way to run graphical programs as root (editor, cofiguration tool, et=
c)
is to use 'ssh -X root@localhost' instead of 'su'. You might try creating a
bash alias to make a shorthand for the preceding command.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>