[vox-tech] corrupted ext3 filesystem

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:03:32 -0800

Thanks, Pete, for correctly guessing that my xmms/rpm problems were due
to a corrupted filesystem.  I have managed to fix the filesystem with
fsck (many, many errors) and reload the two affected programs with rpm.

I would like to solicit some help and comments about what may have
caused my system to become corrupt and how to prevent this from
happening in the future.  Please know that I am relatively new to Linux.

A while back I posted a message asking about some occasional umount
errors during shutdown.  My post must have seemed uninteresting because
no one responded, which was fine because it didn't seem to be causing
any problems.  However, I now wonder if this is related my filesystem
corrupting on me.  Every time I shutdown or reboot, I get this message:

kjournald[150] exited with preempt count 1

_Occasionaly_  I get half a dozen umount and umount2 errors that fly by
so quickly I can't write them down.  As I posted before, I am not able
to find a system log file with these shutdown messages either.  During
bootup of Linux after these umount errors, it lets me know that there
was a problem and does a filesystem check.  This was actually how I was
able to run fsck today to fix the problem.

Does anyone know if these types of messages are common?  Could they be
related to a filesystem corrupting?

I should mention that my machine is a laptop which does get jostled
quite a bit during my bike commute.  In the old days of DOS, I remember
"parking" hardrives on shutdown to prevent damage.  Is this at all
related to unmounting filesystems on shutdown?  I am definitely showing
my ignorance here.