[vox-tech] can't open display with ssh2

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:42:09 -0500

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 04:17:42PM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:34:54AM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> > I'm unable to forward X despite the fact that I used the -X option with
> > ssh and ForwardX11 is set to yes in ssh_config on the remote machine (on
> > both machines, actually).  I get the error message
> >
> > Error: Can't open display:
> >
> > which evidently means that ssh2 has failed to perform its usual magic in
> > setting up the display.  A wander through google has comforted me with the
> > realization that I am not alone in having this problem, although it has
> > not given me any answers.
>
> The first thing to check when you get the above error is the contents of the
> DISPLAY environment variable. If SSH's forwarding magic is in place, it
> should be localhost:10.0 or similar. (The number varies but the hostname is
> always localhost.) The trouble could be as simple as some shell
> initialization overriding DISPLAY.

Her DISPLAY variable is empty... the error message says what the
display variable is...

===
root@star:~# echo $DISPLAY

root@star:~# xeyes
Error: Can't open display:
root@star:~# export DISPLAY=foo:0
root@star:~# xeyes
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for foo
Error: Can't open display: foo:0
===

  I agree something could be wiping out the display variable...
going to check the output of her -v against mine.

    TTFN,
      Mike