[vox-tech] can't open display with ssh2

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:17:42 -0800

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:34:54AM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> I'm unable to forward X despite the fact that I used the -X option with
> ssh and ForwardX11 is set to yes in ssh_config on the remote machine (on
> both machines, actually).  I get the error message
>=20
> Error: Can't open display:
>=20
> which evidently means that ssh2 has failed to perform its usual magic in
> setting up the display.  A wander through google has comforted me with the
> realization that I am not alone in having this problem, although it has
> not given me any answers.  Any idea what's happening?  I saw nothing
> obviously amiss in the output of ssh -v, but will append the output below
> in case others see problems I missed.

The first thing to check when you get the above error is the contents of the
DISPLAY environment variable. If SSH's forwarding magic is in place, it
should be localhost:10.0 or similar. (The number varies but the hostname is
always localhost.) The trouble could be as simple as some shell
initialization overriding DISPLAY.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=