[vox-tech] [OT] Electrical Engineering Question

Sat, 1 Feb 2003 06:52:30 -0800

ach, one more thing.  i can't believe i forgot this (but the truth is,
my department knows i hate experimental physics, and has given me
lectures and discussions for the past few years instead of running
labs).

light bulbs are highly non-ohmic (linear) devices.  the power they
consume is highly dependent on the temperature of the filament.  in
other words, the power they consume depends on how long they've been
left on.   for the life of me, i can't remember whether they consume
more or less power as they heat up.  for your sake, i hope it's less.
:-)

250W is some kind of average; i don't know how they get that number, but
i'm sure they have some kind of procedure like "leave the lightbulb on
for an hour and divide by 3600" or something like that.

from what i remember about the physics 9C labs, 25% sounds pretty
reasonable to me.

pete

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>