[vox-tech] simple web-based file management/sharing system?

Shawn P. Neugebauer vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:01:57 -0800

At last, I have a good question for vox-tech!

I've been asked to put together a simple web-based file management/
sharing system.  The system would be used by a small group to share
PDF, PS and other types of files.  We'd like any (validated) participating
user to be able to add content (upload a file) along with perhaps some
comments or other simple information (a single comment field would
probably suffice).  It's probably a good idea to allow only the uploader or
editor to delete entries.  One extra level of complexity would be helpful
for increasing the utility of this thing:  the ability to create new
"folders" for organizing the information.  The platform is linux (redhat).

I realize that a motivated individual could do this quite nicely with
apache, mysql, and, say, php, however, I'd like to avoid the database,
and, frankly, I don't want to spend very much time on this.  Also, a few
minutes with google and freshmeat convinced me there are 1000 existing
solutions--I'm hoping this email will solicite some good leads.

So, any ideas?  Opinions?  Experience with something like this?  A simple
php-based or perl-based (or something else?) solution would be nice.  A
straightforward groupware-type web application would be useful too, but they
tend to include lots of stuff that's not needed (and won't be needed) here.

shawn.