[vox-tech] XSLT questions

Jonathan McPherson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:39:58 -0800

All,

Anyone here any good with XSLT?  I'm using xsltproc (part of the Gnome
libraries) as a command-line XSLT processor.

I'm building a web site using XSLT to transform my content files (which
are in hand-written XML) into XHTML.  This mostly works great, but has a
few quirks.  Specifically:

1. The processor keeps adding xmlns="" attributes to the tags in my
   result document.  I have no idea why it feels the need to add an empty
   XML namespace.  Why might it do this?

2. I am trying to figure out how to do multiple layers of transformation
   without running xsltproc multiple times.  For  instance, suppose I
   want to make my own <menu> tag that makes a menu on my site.  Whenever
   I see <menu>, I want to specify that it generates a number of
   <menuitem> tags; and I want _those_ to generate specially marked <li>
   tags.  Using XSLT, I have no problem going from <menu> to the <li>
   tags, but can I do the abstraction in between easily?

Thanks. (-:

Jonathan.