[vox-tech] ps to eps (for the record)

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:15:12 -0800

keywords:  ps to eps, ps2eps, ps2epsi, convert

I've had an awful time trying to convert a complicated 1 page ps figure
to eps.    Both Image Magick's "convert" and ghostscript's "gs:epswrite"
produce a matrix graphic (not scalable), even if the original ps file
contains vector graphic information (scalable).  BTW, ps2epsi appears to
be broken and/or useless.

I found another program called ps2eps
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/ps2eps/) which I thought for
sure would do the job.  It didn't quite work either, although it will
probably work with simpler ps files.

There are short guides on the web about how to manually edit a ps file
to make it an eps.  This is an onerous task, and I was unsuccessful.

What I finally found to work was the drawing program Xfig.  Import the
the ps file as a picture object into Xfig, using the original size.
Save the Xfig "drawing".  Export as eps.  Delete the fig file.  It worked!

There may be other methods, but I couldn't find them.  Maybe this will
be helpful to someone else, especially other Latex users.

Jonathan