[vox-tech] 2-nics question

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:22:51 -0800 (PST)

I want to put an ancient laptop to use as a wireless bridge.  My Gamecube
sits in a room that I can't get ethernet to without a lot of effort.
I could buy the Linksys _gaming adapter_ or any of several similar devices,
but I figured this would be worthwhile experiment and I can save some
cash.

Here is what I have:

P-I 100 / 40MB ram / 2GB HD -  Toshiba Laptop
Slackware 9.1 slim install < 200MB for base install and some networking

1 wired pcmica nic (dhcp server to the gamecube, and perhaps other
devices if I get a hub or switch) - eth1
1 wireless pcmcia nic (dhcp client to my wireless router) - eth0

I just installed the OS and everything is working.  The wireless nic is
talking to the router and the outside world.  I configured the wired card
as 192.168.1.1 (my _normal_ home network is 192.168.0.0).

Here is where I don't know what to do next.  I've got DHCP installed, but
I've never configured it before.  Assuming I can get DHCP working through
that nic, what software do I need or what configuration is required to
_pass_ the internet through this machine.  I know I'm showing my
networking ignorance here, but I've always used a hardware router...

For this part, I'm sure I can
RTFM, but if anybody can give me a quick 1,2,3 or point me in the direction
of good reading material, that would be great.

The part I'm really unclear on is this:  do I need a crossover cable to
talk to the Gamecube (or whatever dhcp client)?  If I plug a hub into the
wired nic, does that require a crossover cable, or a regular one?

I haven't bought the gamecube network adapter yet, and I wasn't planning
on doing so until I proved this would work (I can always test with another
laptop).

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Dave