[vox-tech] UPS for a debian linux system

Ted Deppner vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:06:33 -0800

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:03:26PM -0800, dylan wrote:
> I am in the market for a relatively low power UPS that can keep a small PC
> server alive for a couple minutes should the power go out. Furthermore, it
> would be ideal if this UPS would have a serial interface that could be used
> to notify the linux box that it is running on battery power - and power down
> the system should the power remain out for a long time.

check the powstatd daemon among others.  The cheap "cyberpower" units at
fry's are supported, and in fact you can config it to work with unknown
units too by messing with it's config.

Tripplite, Best, and APC all have support options for serial port
connectivity as far as I know.  I looked at this in detail some time
back and didn't see any gotchas with Best and APC at all.  Best actually
helped write the open source driver too as I recall.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/