[vox-tech] overnet

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:32:31 -0800

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Wed 10 Dec 03,  9:46 PM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> said:
>
>>Pasted from a recent post on vox-tech:
>>
>>>p2p like gnutella and fasttrack makes it easy to find what you want,
>>>but difficult to get it.
>>
>>>bittorrent makes things easy to get, but difficult to find.
>>
>>I've recently started using overnet, another P2P network, with the
>>ed2k-gtk-gui (http://ed2k-gtk-gui.sourceforge.net/download.shtml).  You
>>can search for shared files like most p2ps, but downloads come in pieces
>>from several different users, similar to bittorrent.  So it seems to do
>>both things well:  easy to find and easy to download!
>>
>>Jonathan
>

> thanks; i've been meaning to look into overnet.  apparently, there's
> debian packages:
>
> mldonkey-gui
> mldonkey-server
>
> and the client supports overnet, edonkey, bittorrent, and gnutella.

Yah, I tried mldonkey also (from gentoo ebuilds).  But it only seemed to
use the gnutella network; at least it was not immediately clear to me
how to make it work with overnet.  So I compiled ed2k-gtk-gui from
source and found I like its gui interface better anyway.

BTW:  I had some initial trouble connecting to an active overnet network
(maybe this is why I couldn't get mldonkey to work).  I had to open a
couple ports on my firewall and then "bootstrap" to an existing overnet
node:

http://files.edonkey2000.com/documentation/connecting.html
http://files.edonkey2000.com/documentation/tips.html

Let me know, offlist, if you need to bootstrap to my connection.

Jonathan