[vox-tech] printer config: hp2100 on Red Hat 8 + samba

David Siedband vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:36:48 -0700

I'm moving a printer (hp2100M) from a RH5 server to one running RH8, to
be shared over samba with some windows boxes.  The workstations see the
printer, but when they print to it, I get pages of gibberish (text and
characters).

I copied the config from /etc/printcap on the RH5 box to
/etc/printcap.local on the RH8 server.  It looks like this entry was
generated with Printtool.  This new server doesn't have X installed, is
there a command line equivalent to Printtool or is editing the config
files by hand the way to go?  I edited printcap and moved the contents
of /var/spool/lpd/lp0 to the RH8

Here is my entry from /etc/printcap.local

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 1200X1200 letter {} PostScript Default 1
lp0:\
       :sd=/var/spool/samba/hp2100:\
       :mx#0:\
       ::\
       :192.168.0.253:\
       ::\
       :/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:\

I thought this should show up in /etc/printcap verbatim, but the
following line is different

        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0

Here are the relevant parts of my /etc/samba/smb.conf

# Global Parameters
[global]
       workgroup = TEAM7
       netbios name = epic
       server string = The Server
       max log size = 1200
       timeserver = no
       load printers = yes
       printing = lprng
       printcap name = /etc/printcap
       logon script = logon.bat
       domain logons = yes
       os level = 65
       domain master = yes
       local master = yes
       preferred master = yes
       wins support = yes
       create mask = 0777
       force create mode = 0664
       force directory mode = 0777
       hosts allow = 192.168.0.
       dos filetimes = yes
       encrypt passwords = yes

[hp2100]
       printable = yes
       printer name = lp0
       comment = HP LaserJet 2100M
       print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -Plp0 -h %s
       browseable = yes
       path = /var/spool/samba/hp2100

Thanks for any ideas on how to fix this.
--
David