[vox-tech] disabling dhcp at startup

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:13:28 -0700

Charles

I am running RH8 and I had the opposite problem.  When ifup would test
for a cable connection, it wouldn't find one and quit, even if my laptop
was in fact connected.  Interestingly enough, I do not experience this
proplem with other machines.

Although I know next to nothing about shell scripts, I took a look at
ifup and found these lines:

#    if check_link_down ${DEVICE}; then
#   echo $" failed; no link present.  Check cable?"
#   ip link set ${DEVICE} down >/dev/null 2>&1
#   exit 1
#    fi

When I comment out this part (as pasted above), it is able find an IP
address by DHCP, and my network connections works just fine.  If I am
not connected, however, my system does hang for about 1 minute at the
ifup step, but eventually times out and fails the network connection
appropriately.

I wonder if you could insert this in your ifup, or if you could just use
the RH ifup directly?

Jonathan