[vox-tech] Kernel Panic: Lilo did not find Kernel

Viet Nguyen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:46:26 -0700

Hi, my name is Viet and I just subscribed to the LUGOD mailing list.
I was wondering if there was any help available for what I'm going through.
(By the way, I am very much a newb, and have never compiled a kernel before) Here's
my situation:

My box is running a dual boot sytem: One parition is running Win98SE
whilst the other is running Red Hat 8.0 with a 4-18 kernel. I recently
downloaded the 4-20 kernel and compiled by using these commands:

make mrproper
make menuconfig
make dep
make install

Afterwards, I tried to go into my lilo.conf to make a third entry to point
to the old kernel in case the new kernel didn't work.

Then I ran:

/sbin/lilo then it put out

Added Linux
Added Oldlinux (old linux kerkel :-p)
Added DOS

Everything seemed fine so far...

In accordance with Murphy's Law, Lilo was unable to find either of my kernels;
this leaves me in a very bad situation. I get the infamous "Kernel Panic"
output. Right now, I'm running in Windows mode.

My guess is that I made a mistake in configuring my lilo.conf (did I
mention that I was a newb?) and that it resulted in Lilo not finding
either kernel.

As of right now, I have installed Cygwin and I downloaded a Redhat Recovery
disk rpm (lilo-21.4.4-20.i386.rpm) from the internet. So far, I'm trying to
successfully un-rpm this file and then copy it to a floppy so I can finally
get back into Linux and restore my system. However, I'm having trouble running
rpm2cpio and cpio to do this. This is where I am at right now. What is the command
syntax for rpm2cpio, and for cpio? What do I do from there? Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!