[vox-tech] GTK+ 2.2 install

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:30:15 -0400

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:28:22PM -0700, Ryan Detert wrote:
> I am trying to install GTK+ 2.2.1 and I have just done a make install on
> the glib and everything compiles and installs correctly with no errors
> given.
[...]
> What is the best way to uninstall the old version and install the new
> version?

Ryan,

  It is unclear how and where the new version of glibc was installed.
It is unclear if you or the install process ran ldconfig for it to=20
reload the ld.so.cache.

  It is clear that if the configure script for GTK didn't find the new
glibc you installed it's not the default version and something is
wrong, and you don't know how to make configure check the location
you installed your glibc in you should read './configure --help'.

  You should definitely be able to have multiple versions of the=20
same shared library installed on the machine... using the newest=20
version to build against.

  I don't know if there are any binary incompatibilities between the
one that came with your Redhat system and the one you have installed=20
yourself.  If the second digit in the version number changed (2.X) it=20
is likely some incompatibility exists.

  You are playing with fire.  If something goes wrong your system
will be unbootable... and will most likely have to be reinstalled.
If you have to ask how, then I recommend you not even try to remove
the rpm glibc package you have on your machine.

  Aren't there redhat packages for gtk 2.2 someplace?

    Later,
      Mike Simons

--=20

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy