[vox-tech] Newbie help - packet routing issues

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:43:33 -0400

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:06:55PM -0700, Richard Burkhart wrote:
> Yesterday I took it to a friend's place to try and hook in to his LAN
> Hooked it in, put new values into /etc/network/interfaces (eth0,
> static IP, netmask, gatway) [it didn't work]
>
> When I got the machine home, commented my changes out and uncommented the
> original values (which were worthless anyway-I have no network at home) ...
> then tried to open a PPP connection ... the machine won't ping domains ...
> and won't ping IP's that I know are valid.  It *will* ping the internal
> devices - loopback, eth0 and ppp0.

Richard,

- When you say you are pinging things, (both at the friend's house and
  your house) are you using IP addresses or names?

  Based on your description I don't know what is wrong.

Send the output of the following commands:
===
ifconfig
route -n
iptables -L -n -v
===

Send the contents of the following files:
===
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/resolv.conf
===