[vox-tech] Newbie help - packet routing issues

Richard Burkhart vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:06:55 -0700

... or at least I THINK that's how to subject an email that asks "Why can't
I ping outside of my machine?!?!?!?!"   Maybe a more accurate subject would
be "How'd I screw things up THIS time?"

As of yesterday morning, everything was working ok.  I was able to web out
through dialup, and I hadn't touched the eth0 configuration settings that
had been stable since the last time I brought the box to an installfest and
hooked up to the demo machine.

Yesterday I took it to a friend's place to try and hook in to his LAN (full
of windows machines).   Hooked it in, put new values into
/etc/network/interfaces (eth0, static IP, netmask, gatway, yadda, yadda,
yadda) I didn't touch *any* of the other configuation files (routing tables,
etc.)

ifdown eth0 ... ifup eth0 ... aaaand it wouldn't ping through the gateway.
It also wouldn't ping to any of the other static IP's that were set up
inside the LAN.  The card WAS working - I booted over to the windows drive,
changed to the same IP values, and went merrily web'bing away.

When I got the machine home, commented my changes out and uncommented the
original values (which were worthless anyway-I have no network at home) ...
then tried to open a PPP connection ... the machine won't ping domains ...
and won't ping IP's that I know are valid.  It *will* ping the internal
devices - loopback, eth0 and ppp0.

Any suggestions on which "M"s I need to RTF?

Thanks
Richard