[vox-tech] Re: Logitech mouseman and XF86Config-4

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:31:28 -0800

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

> ---ORIGINAL MESSAGE---=20
> Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:53:49 -0800 (PST)
> From: Robin Snyder <resnyder@ucdavis.edu>
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> Subject: [vox-tech] Re: Logitech mouseman and XF86Config-4
> > From: Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> > Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: Logitech mouseman and XF86Config-4
>=20
> >   Okay so the ideal situation is we find a mouse protocol that "gpm"
> > can use for both mice... we know that imps2 does works with the logitech
> > but not RemotePoint, we know that ps2 works with the RemotePoint but not
> > logitech.
> >
> >   Below is a list of mouse protocols that gpm supports that I think are
> > likely to work with your mice... in the order I recommend trying them.
> > Basically put one of these into /etc/gpm.conf at a time, and try using
> > both mice on the console to see if you can move and paste with them.
> > (If you don't reboot after changing /etc/gpm.conf you will at least need
> > to restart gpm via the command: "/etc/init.d/gpm restart").
> > If you find any protocol that works stop and report back...
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D
> > gpm 1.19.6, Thu Oct  4 00:21:21 CEST 2001
> > Available mouse types are:
> >
> > name (synonym)       description
> >
> > autops2            - For PS/2 type mouse, specific protocol will be
> >                      auto detected
> > exps2 (ExplorerPS/2) - IntelliMouse Explorer (ps2) - 3 buttons
>=20
> Mike, thanks for your continued help.  I should now be back in Davis
> for a while.
>=20
> I tried switching the device in /etc/gpm.conf to /dev/autops2,
> restarted gpm, and moved to one of the virtual consoles.  Found I had
> no mouse at all.  (No cursor appeared when I moved the mouse.)
> Switched to /dev/exps2 and restarted gpm.  Same deal.  Suspicious, I
> switched back to /psaux, which had been working, and restarted.  No
> mouse.  I then rebooted, my gpm.conf file in its original state.  No
> mouse still.  I checked the notes in /var/syslog after the reboot and
> found
>=20
> /usr/sbin/gpm: ps/2 mouse failed init.
> /usr/sbin/gpm: oops() invoked from gpm.c
> /usr/sbin/gpm: mouse initialization failed: Invalid argument
>=20
> The reason autops2 and exps2 failed is because I don't have either
> installed.  Fair enough.  But why, now that my gpm.conf is back to
> /dev/psaux, could the mouse not be initialized?  I have a Gift....
>=20

You should be changing the type=3D line, not the device=3D line. exps2,
imps2, and autops2 are various different protocols for talking to the
ps/2 mouse which will always be on the same port - the same device file.

--=20
Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--