[vox-tech] Re: Logitech mouseman and XF86Config-4

Robin Snyder vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:53:49 -0800 (PST)

> From: Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: Logitech mouseman and XF86Config-4

>   Okay so the ideal situation is we find a mouse protocol that "gpm"
> can use for both mice... we know that imps2 does works with the logitech
> but not RemotePoint, we know that ps2 works with the RemotePoint but not
> logitech.
>
>   Below is a list of mouse protocols that gpm supports that I think are
> likely to work with your mice... in the order I recommend trying them.
> Basically put one of these into /etc/gpm.conf at a time, and try using
> both mice on the console to see if you can move and paste with them.
> (If you don't reboot after changing /etc/gpm.conf you will at least need
> to restart gpm via the command: "/etc/init.d/gpm restart").
> If you find any protocol that works stop and report back...
>
> ===
> gpm 1.19.6, Thu Oct  4 00:21:21 CEST 2001
> Available mouse types are:
>
> name (synonym)       description
>
> autops2            - For PS/2 type mouse, specific protocol will be
>                      auto detected
> exps2 (ExplorerPS/2) - IntelliMouse Explorer (ps2) - 3 buttons

Mike, thanks for your continued help.  I should now be back in Davis
for a while.

I tried switching the device in /etc/gpm.conf to /dev/autops2,
restarted gpm, and moved to one of the virtual consoles.  Found I had
no mouse at all.  (No cursor appeared when I moved the mouse.)
Switched to /dev/exps2 and restarted gpm.  Same deal.  Suspicious, I
switched back to /psaux, which had been working, and restarted.  No
mouse.  I then rebooted, my gpm.conf file in its original state.  No
mouse still.  I checked the notes in /var/syslog after the reboot and
found

/usr/sbin/gpm: ps/2 mouse failed init.
/usr/sbin/gpm: oops() invoked from gpm.c
/usr/sbin/gpm: mouse initialization failed: Invalid argument

The reason autops2 and exps2 failed is because I don't have either
installed.  Fair enough.  But why, now that my gpm.conf is back to
/dev/psaux, could the mouse not be initialized?  I have a Gift....

			- robin.