[vox-tech] how *not* to load the serial module at boot time?

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:06:05 -0700 (PDT)

I think /dev/ttyS0 defaults to IRQ4 + IO 0x03f8 with no configuration
whatsoever.  AFAIK, there is no driver to load or unload; you just tell
the kernel what the settings are.

The proper way to control the serial port from RedHat, if I understand the
system correctly, is to *create* /etc/rc.d/rc.serial with whatever
parameters you want (if the file doesn't exist, it defaults to the
aforementioned IRQ & IO).  In your case,

   #!/bin/sh

   setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

The file will be executed by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.  If I understand things
correctly, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is the first script that gets executed,
and /etc/rc.d/rc.local is the last script that gets executed, so hopefully
it'll be executed before the LIRC modules are loaded. But if not, you'll
need to insert a couple more lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial to unload and
load the LIRC module.

Hope that helps!

-Mark