[vox-tech] how *not* to load the serial module at boot time?

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 23:32:06 -0700

Hey all,

Does anyone out there know how RedHat (7.3, if it matters) decides when
(and if) to load the serial port driver, and if so, how to stop it from
Infrared Remote Control -- very nifty) with my newly-built home-brew
serial IR receiver, but the lirc_serial driver can't grab the port if
the serial driver has already been loaded.  I compiled the serial driver
as a module when I built my kernel, but I still get:

Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT
SHARE_IRQ SER
IAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
lirc_serial: port 03f8 already in use, proceeding anyway
lirc_serial: compile the serial port driver as module and
lirc_serial: make sure this module is loaded first
lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver

in my dmesg output.  The problem is that the serial driver is getting
loaded before anything listed in /etc/modules.conf.  Nothing works until
I do:

# setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
# rmmod lirc_serial
# insmod lirc_serial

It's possible that I had to restart lircd after that... I don't remember
for certain whether I did or not.  In any case, it seems clear that I
could just put those commands (followed by the daemon restart, if
necessary) at the end of rc.local, and learn to ignore the error
messages during boot (after all, I have no problem ignoring X when it
complains about missing fonts ;).  However, it seems like just stopping
the serial module from loading in the first place would be the more
elegant solution.

For those eager Debian users out there... the lirc documentation
mentioned modifying /etc/serial.conf on Debian... no such file in a
RedHat installation.  Also, I grep'ed the init scripts for 'serial' and
didn't find anything enlightening.

Incidentally, for those of you who don't always sit *at* your computer
when listening to mp3's, watching DVD's, whatever, I highly recommend
looking into lirc (www.lirc.org).  I'm a firm believer that a little
soldering now and then is good for the soul :)  I can't say enough about
the coolness of this project!

Thanks,
Matt