[vox-tech] Announce: My resolution of The Strange Case of JDK

Chris McKenzie vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:35:32 -0700 (PDT)

This is a dirty hack, but they are good to learn (since no one will ever
teach you in school)

BSD Makefile for openoffice referred to some standard make files so it had
a lot of dependencies.  It would fail upon the make command.  It was
needed to register in the installation and move the binaries to their
proper place.  However, it would not compile the code properly.

GNU Makefile compiled the code properly but did not know where to put the
files after it compiled them or how to register the program.

So I just wipe out any compilation instructions out of the BSD makefile,
and set all the success flags.  I run the gmake and then BSD make which goes
to the compile stage and sees it needs to set compile_successful (or what
have you) to true and that is it.  Then it goes to the install stage, and
finishes the job.

I pulled off a similar trick with another dependency having this new found
method.

Sure, its not the official or documented way to do it, but it worked.

Sincerely,
	Christopher J. McKenzie

	cjm@ucdavis.edu
	mckenzie@cs.ucdavis.edu