[vox-tech] can I make gcc masquerade as non-gcc?

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:34:42 -0700

Hey all,

I'm trying to compile libdv on my Mac (I know, OS X, a little off-topic
:).  I keep running into problems where preprocessing and parsing fails
because the code has lots of

#ifdef __GNUC__
#else
#endif

blocks in it.  This wouldn't be a problem, but for the fact that it
seems that the version of gcc that I'm using (Apple calls it
gcc-937.2... boy are they ahead of their time; it's based on gcc-2.95.2)
doesn't seem to like the code that it gets (something about "rolled-up"
syntax that's supposed to be supported by gcc).  I suppose I could go
through and replace #ifdef __GNUC__ with #ifdef __FUBARC__ or something
like that, but there are many instances in multiple files involved, so
it would be nice if I could just change something in the top-level
Makefile or pass an option to the configure script (tho I don't see any
options that seem appropriate) to undefine __GNUC__ globally.

Thanks,
Matt