router/server project ([vox-tech] Newbie DSL router question)

Stephen M. Helms vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:00:40 -0400 (EDT)

> While Kevin Martin's page seems to be gone, the
> fundamental concept in it that I didn't get elsewhere was that you need
> make sure all your windows machines can lookup each others' names
> through
> hosts files or dns services without probing the internet
> (unsuccessfully).
> (That prevents unintended dialups when only local traffic is
> involved.)
>
> [1] http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/thc/dox/ppp_dod.html

Thanks Jeff,

I did not think to much about the windows machines looking up there names, but I
was going to setup dns on the server/router anyway and so they will get there
dhcp and gateway address from the server.