[vox-tech] Newbie DSL router question

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:49:33 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, as for the digital camera...

It's possible your digital camera is already recognized as a USB storage
device that can be read directly by Linux.  I've heard of such cameras but
I don't use a USB digital camera so I don't know for sure.  To check
whether your camera is such a device:

   1. Become root.
   2. Unplug your camera from the system, if it's already plugged.
   3. Plug in your camera to the system.
   4. Type `tail /var/log/messages`.

It should tell you what type of device Linux recognizes the camera as.

Also, there's a program that tells you what kind of device your camera is.
Try this:

   1. With your camera plugged into the system.
   2. Type `usbview` as root.

If it says something about a "USB storage device", then there's no need to
get a card reader.  But if it doesn't, getting a new card reader will be
the easiest thing to do.  The alternative will be to try to get one of the
photo program working (like gPhoto).

-Mark