[vox-tech] Newbie: On building a Linux box

B Raiford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:16:14 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0086_01C25D50.F1652620

I like building my own computers, so I built one for Linux. Now I find =
out almost none of the components are compatible with Red Hat (the =
distribution I've got); some are compatible with SuSE (available and =
recommended by a friend).

Red Hat didn't list any motherboards, so I figured they would all work; =
there were also no hard disks listed. I try to install Red Hat and find =
that the chip set and the hard disk will not work. As far as I can tell =
I will have to build another box, so here is the question:

Is there an easy (minimum headaches) way of selecting components for =
this new box. What I have started doing is:
Make a list of motherboards and chipsets available,
Check with each site to see which are compatible with which Linux =
distribution,
Purchase the best of the compatible motherboards
Make a list of video cards available
Check with each site...

When I bought the boards for the box I've been trying to use, I asked if =
it was Linux compatible, and was told "yes." I had forgotten that =
computer component sales people fall into the same category as used car =
salesmen (ie, "yes"=3Dcommission).

------=_NextPart_000_0086_01C25D50.F1652620

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I like building my own computers, so I =
built one=20
for Linux. Now I find out almost none of the components =
are&nbsp;compatible with=20
Red Hat (the distribution I've got); some are compatible with SuSE =
(available=20
and recommended by a friend).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Red Hat didn't list any motherboards, =
so I figured=20
they would all work; there were also no hard disks listed. I try to =
install Red=20
Hat and find that the chip set and the hard disk will not work. As far =
as I can=20
tell I will have to build another box, so here is the =
question:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there an easy (minimum headaches) =
way of=20
selecting components for this new box. What I have started doing=20
is:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Make a list of&nbsp;motherboards and =
chipsets=20
available,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Check with each site to see which are =
compatible=20
with which Linux distribution,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Purchase the best of the compatible=20
motherboards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Make a list of video cards =
available</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Check with each site...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When I bought the boards for the box =
I've been=20
trying to use, I asked if it was Linux compatible, and was told "yes." I =
had=20
forgotten that computer component sales people fall into the same =
category as=20
used car salesmen (ie, "yes"=3Dcommission).</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0086_01C25D50.F1652620--