[vox-tech] XFree86 4.2.0 on debian?

Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:45:13 -0700

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>

> I've just ordered one of those nifty all-in-wonder radeon 7500s for a box to
> serve as a movie player/retrogaming system/pvr/music player, and would really
> like to use debian (probably sid or sarge) but the video card in question
> requires XFree86 4.2.0. Does anyone know if there are debian packages for
> XFree86 4.2.0?

http://people.debian.org/~branden/

branden is the X maintainer for debian.  he also releases X packages
that are more unstable than sid (as in, sid viscious?).

> The driver support page for the card in question is at http://gatos.sf.net/
>
> I do want to spend as little time as possible settings things up.

lack of gui tools on debian forces you to learn stuff "for reals".
installing linux, especially a distro like debian, is always a great
learning experience, and shouldn't be rushed.

> I also wanted to know how stable sid was. I plan on running a pretty minimal
> set of programs, so all I relally need to work is X, hardware support and my
> multimedia software.

if you're worried, run woody.  the worst *i've* ever seen in testing is
some packages were held back.  oh, and i saw woody install a broken
symlink once (part of the apple2 emulator).

but this question has been asked before, and the consensus was
"unstable" is a misnomer for sid.

pete