[vox-tech] Debian Woody new install - eth0 issues - what am I doing wrong?

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:50:06 -0800

begin Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
> begin Richard Burkhart <richard@khanfusion.net>
> > Heyyaz ...
> >
> > Anyone have a bottle of Excedrine TCP/IP? ... (cough, cough) ok, that was a
> > bad one ...
> >
> > I've got a new debian install (on a P200, 64megs ram, 3Com 3C905 NIC,
> > yadda,yadda) that I'm installing Woody (w) the 2.4 kernel (have also tried
> > 2.2) onto.  Everything works all right when installing off of the CD.  I
> > have the NIC card model, and when I select the driver, it goes through ok.
> >
> > Then the machine reboots.  "ifconfig" shows the IP, netmask, gateway, etc.
> > are working as I entered it.  The DNS's are in properly.  I can ping the
> > card, and 127.0.0.1.  The card DOES work - it worked on the same machine
> > under RedHat and a Knoppix demo CD.
> >
> > But I can't get out onto the net ... I can't ping outbound - either through
> > domains, or pinging an IP.  I also can't ping INTO the box, from another
> > machine on the same 192.168 net.
> >
> > I've wandered through debianhelp.org, the vox-tech archives, and asked
> > around ... no ideas so far.  I'm running out of hair to pull out, like I
> > ever had much to begin with.
> >
> > Any idearz?
>
> have you used tcpdump yet?

in case you haven't used tcpdump:

tcpdump -i eth0

will dump all inbound/outbound traffic on the nic.   once you start
using advanced functionality, the syntax stinks.  but just monitoring
traffic is easy enough.  :)

> can you post lsmod/ifconfig/route info?

also, i forgot to ask -- are you going through any kind of firewall,
proxy or masquerade?

pete