[vox-tech] using autoconf (errors)

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:25:05 -0700

thanks, dave.

begin Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com>
> On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 10:36, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > as usual, the configure script is a big fat mess and difficult to
> > follow.
>
> It's almost impossible to read those, I wouldn't bother.

why do they DO that?  shell scripting can be really transparent.  it's
like they obfuscate it on purpose.

> > i fully realize i gave practically no information.  sending a tarball to
> > the list is a huge no-no, but i'm hoping that some autoconf guru will
> > have some tips to help me out with these error messages.
> >
> > related question:
> >
> > i have no desire to read 50+ pages of autoconf info pages.  i've done a
> > websearch for a "quick and dirty introduction", but other than galassi's
> > tutorial, couldn't find much.   anyone know of a pragmatic intro to
> > autoconf?
>
> I don't know about on-line introductions, but the book
> "GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" is a great source
> of information.

ah.  i totally forgot about that book.  i'll check out rod's suggestion
(and i found something on a website called "seul").  if they don't do
it, i'll shell out for the automake/conf book.  i should prolly have a
copy in my own collection anyway.

> Automake is pretty much a breeze to use once you figure
> it out. The other two ... well ... automake is a breeze
> to use :)

heh.  :)

pete