[vox-tech] using autoconf (errors)

Dave Peticolas vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
22 Oct 2002 11:21:10 -0700

--=-g9e/6frNLApBZY6/Nnpe

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 10:36, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm trying to learn autoconf by following mark galassi's tutorial.
> the source code i'm working with already has a vanilla makefile.
>=20
> here's my first stab (from top level):
>=20
> p@satan% cp Makefile Makefile.orig
> p@satan% mv Makefile Makefile.in
> p@satan% autoscan
> p@satan% mv configure.scan configure.in  =20
> p@satan% autoheader
> p@satan% autoconf
> autoconf: Undefined macros:
> configure.in:22:AC_FUNC_ERROR_AT_LINE
> configure.in:23:AC_FUNC_MALLOC
> configure.in:27:AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
> configure.in:3:AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([xpose.c])
> p@satan% ./configure
> configure: error: can not find sources in . or ..

It looks like you might be missing a call to aclocal.

> as usual, the configure script is a big fat mess and difficult to
> follow.

It's almost impossible to read those, I wouldn't bother.

> i fully realize i gave practically no information.  sending a tarball to
> the list is a huge no-no, but i'm hoping that some autoconf guru will
> have some tips to help me out with these error messages.
>=20
> related question:
>=20
> i have no desire to read 50+ pages of autoconf info pages.  i've done a
> websearch for a "quick and dirty introduction", but other than galassi's
> tutorial, couldn't find much.   anyone know of a pragmatic intro to
> autoconf?

I don't know about on-line introductions, but the book
"GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" is a great source
of information.

Automake is pretty much a breeze to use once you figure
it out. The other two ... well ... automake is a breeze
to use :)

dave

--=-g9e/6frNLApBZY6/Nnpe

--=-g9e/6frNLApBZY6/Nnpe--