[vox-tech] possible rooted system / checking md5sum on debian

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 12:41:33 -0700

> well, i wasn't trying to make any grandiose claims about "derivative
> works", but if you must...
>
> yeah.  that's exactly what i meant.

Not meaning to niggle for no purpose.  I actually was concerned that
something might have happened at Tripwire, Inc. that I hadn't heard
about.  Having hear Gene Kim (their founder and chief programmer) talk a
few times on the subject, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go
proprietary again.

At one LinuxWorld talk, Gene was scheduled to give a lecture on
commercial aspects of open-source software, which sounded interesting.
'Turned out to be just an extended rant about how and why open source
licensing & development inevitably produces poor software, which he
felt was proved by the fact that almost nobody helps maintain the C++
Tripwire codebase.

I sympathise, but suspect the most-plausible explanation is that coder
with relevant skillsets looked at the tarball and said "Ew, icky tangles
of C++ and not even any autoconf support, and therefore sheer hell to
port?  No thanks."

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.