[vox-tech] help with script

Micah J. Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 19:00:11 -0700

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 04:51:02PM -0700, Harry S wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 12:14:51PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> > > While looking up "script" I came across "replay". It allows you to play
> > > back "script" files (must have same terminal or results aren't
> > > guaranteed) with key timings.
> >
> > "key timings"? those aren't stored in the file by *my* script...
>
> This might only apply to Debian. The "-t" option outputs timing data to
> standard error. You would do something like:
>
> script -t 2> my_timing_file
>
> and to play it back:
>
> replay my_timing_file

On mine, -t is for setting the interval between explicit flushes to
the output file.

> You can specify a specific script file otherwise it uses the default
> "typescript".
>

> > As for viewing, what's wrong with cat or less -r?
>
> I tried that and strings and a few other things. Cat spews out gibberish
> as does less. The gibberish isn't interpretted.

Wha? Not if you run 'em on the same terminal, they aren't (not on the
scripts I've seen, anyway). The gibberish is terminal codes. Of
course, if it includes timing info, I imagine all bets are off.

Note that the -r option to less is important; it lets the raw terminal
codes through.

-Micah