[vox-tech] Sound Problem

Shawn P. Neugebauer vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:20:00 -0800

Rod touched on what is likely the root cause of the problem:  the artsd
sound server.  I don't know what KDE was thinking.  Well, I know they
were trying to "standardize" and "centralize" but the problem is nothing
"standard" works well with artsd.

I think there are essentially two choices, without doing lots and lots of
work:  run the sound server and accept that RealPlayer won't work,
or do not run the sound server and use RealPlayer but accept that
some of the KDE stuff may not work well.  There's an option in the control
panel to specify whether artsd runs at startup.  I do not use it, and
I can use sound in apps just fine, although I'm certainly not taking care
of all the mixing features and what not of artsd.

I don't think RealPlayer screwed up the sound in your system.  You
probably tried to use RealPlayer, the sound server doesn't cooperate
well, it crashes (but only after occupying lots of CPU time), and that
leaves sound support for other applications iffy.

The artswrapper that is referred to is designed to run as a wrapper
for another application, e.g., invoked using "artswrapper realplayer"
(note: this is not the precise syntax).  It doesn't do anything by
itself.

Make sure realplayer is not being started automatically at login.

Does anyone know what the situation is in, say, KDE 3.1?

Good luck.

shawn.

If you google for artsd user guide you'll find some FAQ info that
discusses much of this.