[vox-tech] How to make an OEM style "system recovery disk"

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 12:47:49 -0800

I realize this discussion is a few days old, but I had something to add.

Norton Ghost is pretty darn cool and supports ext2 filesystems.  It will allow
you to build a mulit-cdr(w) image of a complete filesystem.  So you can have you
exact system tweaked with all the setting, applications, etc. written in
compressed format across several disks.  Then you can restore with Norton's
floppy or your first CD (if your system supports boot from CDROM).  The only
think you need Windows for is to make the original floppies.  I've tested this
with both win2k and linux.  The restore works great.  The only danger is if you
don't test right away, because if disk 3 of 7 (for example is shot) the whole
image is worthless.  This is a proprietery solution, but works well.

Also, has anyone tried Gentoo's UT2003 live image?  This is an ISO that boots
into a live Gentoo Linux, with Nvidia drivers, and a few popular sound drivers,
and allows you to run UT2003 off a bootable CDROM.  Nothing to do with restoring
a system, but interesting.

Dave