[vox-tech] VNC Screen Geometry Settings

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 29 May 2002 12:41:00 -0400

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 09:23:51AM -0700, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I've been attempting, unsuccessfully, to scale the output from my
> vncserver to match my client.  The display on the computer running the
> server is set to 1600 by 1200, but the monitor on the computer where
> the client is running is set at 1280 by 1024... so as a result, the
> client's output is truncated.

- What operating system is on both ends?

> I've attempted to start vncserver with
> the -geometry 1280x1024 option, but while that sets the server's output
> display properly, many of the programs that run on that computer are
> set to a larger display, so they get truncated.

  This sounds like the way to go, you would just need to teach each
of the applications to open at the new correct size.  Many applications
(like mozilla) will open at the size they were last closed, so you may
be able to open, resize, and close the applications to set them up
in advance.

  Another idea (which is kinda kludgy), is to setup a second
user account on the vnc server host that is designed for the smaller
size... what would be needed is just a different home directory so that
all the applications will save there smaller size settings there without
messing up your normal larger view.  To be tricky you can actually have
both of these user accounts have the same UID so all files are shareable
between them, but they simply have a different home directory.

  The last possibility is some things provide a virtual desktop that
allows you to pan around over a much larger viewing area than what
is seen on the screen.  By touching your mouse to the side of the window
you pan in that direction.  I'm not sure if vnc supports this panning
option.

> Is there a way in tightvnc to "scale down" the output display so
> that I can see my 1600 x 1200 display shrunk down to 1280 by 1024
> without truncating the display at all?

- Have you tried panning the display by bumping the mouse against the
  edge in the direction of "truncation"?

    Later,
      Mike