[vox-tech] mandrake question

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 5 May 2002 17:19:49 -0700 (PDT)

Mandrake installation does partitioning very well, graphical and
everything.  I don't know if it works like fips (requires scandisk before
running it) or not, but it *seems* to not require scandisk beforehand.
It handles all FAT-type partitions including VFAT.  I don't think I had to
deal with NTFS so I couldn't tell you whether it works with NTFS or not...

You should still explain to him/her a little about partitioning to ease
his/her confusion (why it's necessary, what it is, ideal sizes, how
journaling file systems like ext3 is better, writing down /dev/hdX or
/dev/sdX values for later references, how repartitioning is a horribly
difficult and inefficient process so one should do it right the first
time but expect to make some mistakes the first couple times, etc.)

-Mark