[vox-tech] writing free getopt, ran into a dilemma...

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:13:19 -0800 (PST)

The one I tried to link statically on Windows one time said it was GPL,
but according to Micah it's apparently LGPL with misdocumentation. :P

The reason I'm writing my own getopt is because I want static linkage.
Anyway, some options I'm thinking about:

   1. Get rid of optind altogether.
   2. Shuffle argv[] like LGPL getopt.
   3. Set optind to the beginning of the last set of non-option arguments.
   4. Set optind to the beginning of the first non-option argument.

I really don't want to shuffle argv[] (option #2)  because I can see how a
non-shuffling getopt could be useful on systems that won't let you shuffle
argv[].  Options #3 and #4 are direct opposites of each other, and each
can be beneficial at different times.  While #3 seems to make more sense
to me, it's nothing you can't handle by using the "-" option in "optstr".
And while #4 seems to make little sense, it can be useful if you're trying
to determine if there are any non-option arguments and throw an error,
which you can't do any other way that I can think of.

-Mark